Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Godly Wife

A good wife makes sure that the house is clean, cooks dinner, and does laundry.  But according to the Bible, what does a godly wife look like?   I've been wanting to write this post for a while now and doing my devotions this afternoon reminded me of it.  These are some of my go-to verses when I think about what my character should be.  Not just how to be a godly wife, but also what it means to be a godly woman and how she should act.  I am in no way an expert on this topic seeing as how I've only been a wife for a year and a half!  But this is just what I've learned through reading the Word. 

Proverbs 11:16 - "A kindhearted woman gains respect."

Proverbs 11:22 - "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows now discretion." 
I googled the meaning of this verse because I was having a hard time putting my interpretation into words.  So in order to not plagiarize, I copied part of one person's thoughts on it.  "It means even though there are those who have the outer look of vanity and jewels, their heart is still not righteous and they are senseless --- a waste; like a pig with a gold ring through its nose.  It may look decorated but it still slops in the mud and hasn't a clue."
So even though someone may look beautiful on the outside, actions speak louder than words, and what you do or say is telling of what kind of character you have.

Proverbs 12:4 says that "A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones."  What I say and do not only reflects back on me, but also on my husband and our family's name!  When people see me I want them to think highly of my husband as well as myself!  

Proverbs 14:1 - The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. 
I found this commentary - http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/cmt/clarke/pro014.htm and it says this:  "Every wise woman buildeth her house - By her prudent and industrious management she increases property in the family, furniture in the house, and food and raiment for her household. This is the true building of a house. The thriftless wife acts differently, and the opposite is the result. Household furniture, far from being increased, is dilapidated; and her household are ill-fed, ill-clothed, and worse educated."

Proverbs 21:9  "It is better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife." 
I don't want to be argumentative or nagging to my husband.  It will only annoy him and cause him to not want to be around me.  Solomon repeats this concept 4 times in Proverbs (again in vs. 19, 25:24, 27:15), so obviously he wants to get the point across!  Maybe one of his wives was always nagging him so he was wishing he lived on the roof or in a desert!  Haha!

I have my own "breakdown" of the Proverbs 31 woman who always seems so daunting to a lowly wife like myself who strives to meet her impossible standards! 
vs. 11 - Her husband has confidence in her.
vs. 12 - She is a help meet and an encouragement to her husband!  She does not tear him down.
vs. 13-19, 21 &22, 24, 27 - She is not idle but is productive and helps provide for her family. 
vs. 20 - She is gracious and hospitable, helping those in need.  
vs. 25 - She has strength and does not fear.
vs. 26 - She speaks with wisdom. 
vs. 27 - Her husband and children bless and respect her.

vs. 30 - "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." 
I don't want to just be another pretty face, I want to have a strong relationship with Lord and through Him I will have the strength I need to get through the day and to not fear the days to come.  

And I add - She is humble.  Because we should strive to be like Jesus.  Philippians 2:3-7 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.  Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others.  Your attitude should be as that of Christ Jesus: Who being in the very nature, God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but instead made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness."

Ephesians 5:22 - Wives, submit to your husband as to the Lord.  and in verse 33 "wives must respect their husbands."
As a Christian wife I know that my husband is the head of our family.  So I am to follow him in the ways that he thinks are best for our family.  
And for wives whose husbands are not Christians 1 Peter 3:1 & 2 says, "Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the Word, they may be won over without words but by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence in your lives."

1 Peter 3:3-5 - "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.  For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.  They were submissive to their own husbands."  
This passage makes me think back to Proverbs 11:22.  I don't think this verse is telling us that we can't fix our hair nice, or wear nice things, but that it shouldn't be our number one priority.  True beauty comes from within. And if what is inside is not beautiful, then all the outward beauty in the world will not help the way that people perceive us.  Philippians 4:5 says, "Let your gentleness be evident to all."


Like I said, I'm not a perfect woman or wife, and I'm not an expert, but this is what I've been reading in my quiet time this week and what I am striving for this year!  I want God's word to be the filter of my thoughts and actions.  



Psalm 19:14 -  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment